The Matlab Project
One Project: Admin Detail
Pick a project. See BB for due date... mid-december.
You Get To Choose
Good News: choice of any one (1) of three projects.
Bad News: we won't spend much class time on any
So... you have to look at them and read the background pretty much
unsupervised and pick and do it.
Good News: I believe the tutorial material is adequate for 173
without any lecturing help from me.
- Ray Casting: Traditional, is fun, is graphics, gets good
reviews, fair amount of background reading and some non-trivial
- Linear Algebra: From 160, a 2nd-sem. freshman course for
frosh with no previous programming experience. Research project:
does pivoting really help in a particular class of problems,
when and how much?
- ODEs: From 160. Learn about ordinary differential equations, and use
them to solve a ballistics problem. Cannons are "easy",
Baseball is a full-blown research project.
MY opinion: easiest to hardest with some tradeoffs:
- ODEs. Tutorial is significant but not massive (10 pages?), problem
after that is actually easy (not much code).
- Linear Algebra. If you know about systems of linear
equations, big head start. Code is pretty easy, the experimental
part is a bit of a slog but not hard.
- Ray tracing: given that we can't spend 2 lectures on the
background, you have to deal with the tutorial material (some 3-D
and the coding is non-trivial but not huge, and it's rewarding.