I'll be at home in Maryland over the summer, though I plan to come to Acapulco with you all. I'd love to hear from you, and maybe do a little correspondence work on non-vital issues. Please tell me about all my bugs!
- Email Same as during the year.
- IM: entropy526
- Phone: 301-231-0761; leave a message if I'm not in.
- Carnie, Andrew: Syntax: A Generative Introduction, Blackwell Publishing, 2002.
- Levinson, Steven: Pragmatics, Syndicate of Cambridge University, 1983.
- Prof. Jeff Runner: Personal Discussions.
Natural Language Understanding
- Allen, James: Natural Language Understanding, 1st ed. Benjamin Cummings Publishing Co., 1987.
- Allen, James, Bradford Miller, Eric Ringger, Teresa Sikorski: Robust Understanding in a Dialogue System, Assoc. for Computational Linguistics, June 1996.
- Allen, James, George Ferguson, Amanda Stent: An Architecture for More Realistic Conversational Systems, IUI'01, January 2001.
- Prof. Chris Brown: Personal Discussions.
- Cohen, Philip, Sharon Oviatt: The Role of Voice Input for Human-Machine Interaction, Oregon Graduate Inst. of Science and Technology.
- Prof. George Ferguson: Personal Discussions.
- Weizenbaum, Joseph: Contextual Understanding by Computers,Communications of the ACM, August 1967.
- Winograd, Terry: Understanding Natural Language, Academic Press, NY, 1972.
Computer Language References
- JIPrologRefManual.pdf, included with JIProlog.
- Ugo Chirico, author of JIProlog.
- Prolog Programming, by Roman Bartak, contains examples, utilities and efficiency tips.
- Java API from Sun.
Other Dialogue Systems
- Denecke: An Information-based Approach for Guiding Multi-Modal Human-Computer Interaction, Proceedings of IJCAI-97, 1997.
- Sadek, Bretier, Panaget: ARTIMIS: Natural Dialogue Meets Rational Agency, Proceedings of IJCAI-97, 1997.
- Kellner, Rueber, Seide, Tran:
PADIS -- an automatic telephone switchboard and directory information system, Speech Communication, 23:95-111, Okt 1997.